Friday, February 17, 2012

Who Rescued Who???

We have a new family member!!!!  Lance and I have been wanting to get a dog for a very long time, but we wanted it to be the right fit.  Since my traveling work has slowed down and I realized Lance stops by the house 1-2 times a day, we thought it could be time.  So, the hunt began!
Lance wanted to "buy" a dog, but I really wanted to rescue one.  We had to be picky though because of my lovely allergies.  I found a few webpages for some local rescues and started looking.  We thought we found the right match...but we didn't get her in time.  A few days later, a little girl named Pearl came up.  BUT---she was way over in St Pete.  I didn't think Lance would want to make the drive to meet her, but to my surprise we went the next day.  It was love (or licks!) at first site!  There were a few other families there to meet her that morning, but since we had already been approved, we got first choice on her.  :)

 
 Her picture on the rescue website, who wouldn't LOVE this face?!?

Everyone says "Oh, you rescued a dog, how wonderful"...but I think "Kiki" rescued us.  She's the sweetest dog and is having fun settling down in her new home.  She came to us a bit shy and wouldn't play with toys, etc.  Wow, how time changes that!  She's now in full puppy mode!  She's a trip.  She knows how to sit, stay and come.  She can be outside without a leash (though that makes Momma worried).  She loves everyone she meets and makes them feel like they are the long lost friend she hasn't seen in 20 years.  She has definitely become our little girl!
We named her after a city in Hawaii, Waikiki, from our honeymoon visit...but we just call her Kiki.  She fits her name and she responds to it.  Oh, she was also house broken and loves her crate.
From what we can tell, Kiki is about a year to a year and a half years old.  She's mainly a mini schnauzer and she's all white (which makes going to the tree farm with Daddy even more fun!). Here are some pictures of a baby....

 Riding "home" after picking her up
 At the vet for the first time.  We are a little too friendly in the waiting room, so we got out own room really quickly!!

 A favorite toy!
 I love my cousin, Coltin!!!
 Riding in the car to get my hair cut!
 "Post" cut, I now look more like a schnauzer.

1 comment: